A simple, but oh so awesome doughnut recipe. For when you just gotta do it.
Makes 15 (large)
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 x 7g packets dried yeast
- 500g plain flour
- 600 ml whole milk
- A pinch of salt
- 100g softened butter
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Warm the milk and add the sugar and yeast, allow the yeast to activate, around 10 minutes.
- In a bowl add the flour, salt and butter and mix together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the milk, yeast mixture and mix well. If it feels a little wet add some more flour.
- Turn out onto a surface and knead until it feels light, soft and pillowy, around 10 minutes. Put into a clean bowl, cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to around 2cm thick. Using an 8cm round cutter cut out 15 doughnuts. Then, using a 3cm cutter remove the doughnut holes (fry these up as chef's treats). Allow to rise for around 10 minutes.
- Deep-fry using hot oil (170C) until the doughnuts go a lovely golden brown. Dust with sugar / cinnamon, cover with chocolate / ice cream... basically go nuts!
You can view the terms and conditions for our Instagram competition here.